Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fav new designer: Mary Bairstow

http://www.marybairstowdesigns.com/interior+homeaccents/home_1.html

I married into quite the hoity-toity family. So hoity-toity, and so different from me, I don't even know how to correctly spell hoity-toity. My father-in-law owns a house in the Hamptons, Sag Harbor specifically. Growing up middle class in California, one could joke about being rich in the Hamptons, but I always imagined it was a cluster of huge white mansions somewhere in the East Coast. To my surprise, it's a tiny series of beach towns, undiscovered by the Manhatten upper class for many years, then swarmed by those wanting to vacation away for east side ambition. The down side, it's now a rich beach town, with really expensive grocery stores.

The appeal, however, is clear, and as long as we live off of pancakes and frozen pizzas, we can have a pretty fancy vacation there every summer.

This year was year 4 or 5, going out for a week in the Summer. While there, my mother-in-law, Nancy, is there building her own house (father and mother in-law divorced), so she came out to play with us. She found a fantastic antique fair, complete with all the stuff I only see in magazines and could never afford myself. While at this fair, I encounter Mary Bairstow.

It was industrial, farmhouse chic...presicely my personal style (though my house doesn't lend itself to this style, so I veer from it in my own home decor, opting for what works with the house instead of my own inclinations).

I was so in love with the antique rice sack pillows, the vintage center islands with patina metal tops, the wire basket and bulb light fixtures, vintage corbels, etc.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Cute! Do you follow Miss Mustard Seed? It's very similar but she has lots of DIY tutorials and such. Not the style I'm going for in this house, but it is fun (and her tips on refinishing furniture are great!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh oops! http://missmustardseed.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete