Friday, January 29, 2010

"Bellybutton Brownies" that Can Cure Cancer...Or Close To It

I've done it! Mwah hah hah (evil laugh). I have finally discovered the formula for the best brownies in the universe. These are, like, sell your soul to Satan, get down and bleed for seconds, sacrifice God and country, kind of good.

Warning: I am not responsible for any weight gain or heart problems that may result from ingesting these addictive little vixens.



How To:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups butterscotch "chocolate" chips
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup butter (room temperature)
1 1/3 cup white sugar
4 tablespoons water
4 eggs

Directions:

1. Preheat oven 325 F

2. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl.

3. in mixing bowl, combine chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and vanilla.

4. In a saucepan, combine butter, sugar, and water. Bring just to a boil. Pour hot mixture over chocolate mixture and stir. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Stir in flour mixture a little at a time.

5. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake for about 40 - 50 minutes, or until you can stick in a fork, pull it out, and the batter no longer sticks to the fork.

6. Eat, achieve nirvana, and comment with your favorite brownie recipes.

This recipe is based on the brownie recipe in Kathleen's Bake Shop Cookbook, by Kathleen King. I not only took out the nuts, but when I doubled the recipe, I discovered I didn't have enough chocolate chips. I had a bag of butterscotch chips and threw them in with the chocolate. This devilish combination not only maintains the "fudgy" texture Kathleen speaks of, but adds a subtle toffee-ish undercurrent that baffles and intoxicates the eater. Kathleen, from one accidental brownie recipe to another, I salute you and thank you.

The name "Bellybutton Brownies" is for my daughter, Hazel, who loved them so much, she decided to streamline the ingestion process by attempting to shove them directly into her belly via belly button, show below.





2 comments:

  1. If I make the brownies does the belly-button come with it? Is it wrong to want a glass of milk and lick her tummy? E-ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Mom, it's wrong. Very wrong. ;P And if it's wrong, I don't want to be right.

    ReplyDelete