Monday, March 1, 2010

My indoor tree...No, it's not Christmas




February was a hard winter month all over the east coast, and seasonal affective disorder ran a muck. I needed flowers. But I'm cheap. I don't think in dollars anymore - I think in diapers. One bouquet of flowers last 4 - 7 days and costs about 84 diapers.

The Solution?

I have a tree in my backyard - possibly a fruitless Everpear - and it gets pretty white blossoms in the Spring.

I cut several branches while they only had tightly closed, fuzzy little buds. It looked like a pussywillow. I brought them inside, cut the bottoms on a diagonal and then spliced it to encourage more water to reach these buds.

Within about a week or two, the buds opened. A week after that, SPRING ARRIVED! In my dining room! Beautiful white blossoms were the centerpiece and a reminder of what was to come about 6 weeks from that day.

Today, The flowers are done, but leaves continue to sprout! I just keep adding water to find out how long this can last - like Kramer driving as far as he can on a tank with an E light on.

Some people like to add some bleach to the water to kill anything that might cause rot and mold while you wait for flowers. I didn't need any.

Screw the groundhog! Enjoy an early Spring!

2 comments:

  1. i love the new color on your walls and the table. can't wait to see in person all the improvements you made over the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I love the blue walls too-- are they new snce last time I was there, or am i just too tired to remember anything?

    ReplyDelete