Monday, March 1, 2010

Decor: Stephanie aka Knobby the House Elf: The beginning of knob obsessions

They come in every shape, size, and finish and whether you know it or not, by the end of the day, it's touched you and your children.

Knobs.






Yes, knobs can make an entire door, window, or furniture piece feel fresh, new, and expensive without necessarily being expensive.

The Problem: Functional clothing storage built-ins in the master bedroom done in a 1980's white washed wood. Slab style. With rectangular brass pulls.

(sound of woman's screaming voice, baby's crying, and cars colliding - the horror)

Fyi: Brass is the devil. It looks all shiny and gold, but it's just plain cheap, breaks easily, and reminds me of all things wrong with the world. Just about.

The Solution: Paint the cabinets white (while Aaron is out of town with Hazel), and replace said evil pulls with glass knobs.

Fyi: Glass knobs make me feel timeless, like I really could be living in the year the house was built - every time I open the door to go to the bathroom or open the cabinets to grab a pair of socks. Smack-dab in the 1920's.

They also go with the other doors in the house. Seemless transitions are dreamy.

Moral of the story? Get knobbed.

5 comments:

  1. Photos of the finished product? I totally agree about the knobs by the way and I have a bad tendency to hover over the knob heap at anthropologie--despite the fact that I want everything else in the store....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthropologie has FANTASTIC knobs. Camera out of batteries. Will have photos soon. Miss you Super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love glass knobs too! You have the perfect house for them. Can't wait to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. speaking of knobs....http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/marketplace/bauerware-putting-the-fun-back-in-cabinet-hardwarestore-profile-111715

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool link! I wish I could go. But the website is pretty thorough, so I will live. I'm especially enjoying the vintage knob section. Thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete